The archaeological site of Gortyn (or Gortys) is located near the village of Agii Deka and next to the road connecting Agii Deka with Mires. The town covered a large area along the river Mitropolianos (or Litheos) with vast olive groves.
The city of Gortys is one of the most important archaeological sites in Greece. The first archaeological works in Gortys started in 1884, after discovered the Great Inscription of Gortys (discussed later). In 1898 the first excavations started, which continue till today